Thursday 4 December 2008

Time flies

For those who are wondering, since I seem to have fallen silent...yes, I have arrived in Melbourne safely. The trip was long, but the company good, and I now have two new friends. I kept my eyes peeled looking for roos, and saw hundreds, though they all seemed to bear a close resemblance to sheep or cows. A stretch of the imagination. I also saw a lot of dry, golden grass, open spaces, and gum trees, amid rolling low hills. The most spectacular site was at dusk - a large tree full of roosting white cockatoos (or cockies, as they are called here), hanging at various angles like crazed Christmas ornaments.

I must admit to being highly disappointed :) that no one has emerged with the answer to my question regarding the orgin of the phrase 'sheer plod'. For your further education - and or those not in the know, 'windhover' is another name for a kestrel:

The Windhover - For Christ our Lord

I caught this morning morning's minion, king-
dom of daylight's dauphin, dapple-dawn-drawn Falcon, in his riding
Of the rolling level underneath him steady air, and striding
High there, how he rung upon the rein of a wimpling wing
In his ecstasy! then off, off forth on swing,
As a skate's heel sweeps smooth on a bow-bend: the hurl and gliding
Rebuffed the big wind. My heart in hiding
Stirred for a bird, - the achieve of, the mastery of the thing!
Brute beauty and valour and act, oh, air, pride, plume, here
Buckle! AND the fire that breaks from thee then, a billion
Times told lovelier, more dangerous, O my chevalier!
No wonder of it: sheer plod makes plough down sillion
Shine, and blue-bleak embers, ah my dear,
Fall, gall themselves, and gash gold-vermilion.

Gerard Manley Hopkins, 1844-1889, British.


Not the most 'accessible' of Hopkins' poems...but interesting themes of things hidden and revealed, and also idea that glorious things are revealed through brokeness.

Had a lovely evening last night with group of about 70 international students. They seemed to have a great time - my hostess and I left at about 10:15, with most of them showing no signs of wanting to go home! I had some great conversations during the evening - the students I talked to were so interested in learning about others, so open to people who think differently than they do, and without the huge chip on their shoulders about Christianity that so many in the West seem to have. And I find it intriguing to hear about their lives, their perspective on life here, on me, on what I believe.

It's all immensely draining, however, especially after an intense week of conference (and an intense month of work before that!) so today I am taking some time off. I was too keyed up to sleep before who knows what hour last night (or rather this morning), and I decided that going on an 'amazing race' today through Melbourne was more than I was up to. So I am writing a short blog instead.

I am sad to report that it is sunny and 30C today. I know you all hate me. And that won't improve as I tell you that tomorrow's outing is to the beach. I am really suffering for God here.

No comments: